As the party planner, you have control over the vibe, tempo and theme of your playlist. That’s awesome, but might also be a little daunting. These five tips will help you throw a holiday get together that people will talk about for years to come!
Five Tips for Building the Perfect Party Playlist
• Figure out the goal of your playlist. Are you trying to create a relaxed atmosphere or a full-on dance party? Once you have that figured out, you’ll have a clearer idea of what kind of music to put on the list.
• Make sure your playlist is the right length. Plan for at least three hours of music. You don’t want to have to repeat your playlist!
• Think of your group’s overall makeup. Plan a playlist that everyone can enjoy – if you’re not sure, or your guests span a wide range of ages, you can’t go wrong with the classics. Think Bing Crosby, Mariah Carey, Mannheim Steamroller, the soundtrack from “A Charlie Brown Christmas”.
• Have an alternate playlist. If your carefully cultivated playlist bombs (perhaps you over-indulged your love of polka music by one song too many) have another one handy to swap with the one that’s not working and get the party back on track.
• Listen to your entire playlist before the party. Don’t just plug in song titles. By hearing it before the party, you’ll know if flow well together and share the same vibe.
The foregoing advice from Yamaha is good guidance.
Don’t ignore the option of hiring a professional to help you design the playlist and play it at your party.
Program DJ’s can not only assemble a playlist, they will often have thousands of additional tracks on-hand to meet your requests and those of your guests, making it the best party ever!